In addition to his training as a specialist in general surgery and trauma surgery, as well as orthopaedics, Prof. Habermeyer has specialised in the scientific and clinical aspects of the shoulder joint since 1982 and opened the first German Special Outpatient Clinic for Shoulder Surgery in 1984 at the Surgical University of Munich. In 1986, in addition to the usual open shoulder surgery, he expanded his surgical spectrum with both shoulder arthroscopy and shoulder prosthetics. In 1990, he published his first textbook on shoulder surgery, which in 2017, in the 5th edition with over 15,000 copies sold, is the standard textbook in German-speaking countries. After founding the German Shoulder Centre in 2012, Prof. Habermeyer has a broad surgical experience with over 20,000 shoulder surgery operations, including over 3,000 shoulder prostheses. 115 scientific publications on shoulder surgery and decades of conference activity pass on his clinical scientific experience.
Prof. Dr. med. Peter Habermeyer is one of the world’s leading specialists in the field of shoulder surgery.
As a former president of the European Association for Shoulder and Elbow Surgery (SECEC), he is regularly listed as one of the most renowned shoulder surgeons in Germany on the FOCUS list of doctors.
This is at the heart of his work: “Exact diagnostics, planned and safe surgical technique, reliable aftercare”.
Range of services
- Implantation and replacement of shoulder prostheses
- Arthroscopic suture of the rotator cuff
- Revisions after failed rotator cuff rupture
- Care of upper arm head fractures and long-term consequences
- Arthroscopic and open shoulder stabilisation after dislocation
- Early osteoarthritis of the shoulder, cartilage regeneration
- Calculus shoulder
- Frozen shoulder
- 1972 – 1974 Study of Human Medicine, Vorklinik, Ludwigs-Maximilians-University Munich
- 1975 – 1978 Study of Human Medicine, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technical University of Munich
- 1981 Ph.D. med. -magna cum laude, LMU Munich
- 1978-1982 Surgical Clinic Rechts der Isar, Technical University of Munich (Prof. Dr. G. Maurer)
- 1982-1992 Surgical Clinic City Centre, Ludwigs-Maximilians-University Munich (Prof. Dr. L. Schweiberer)
- 1987 Specialist physician for surgery,
- 1987 Habilitation in the department of surgery
- 1992 Specialist physician for trauma surgery
- 1992-1996 sports clinic Stuttgart, chief physician
- 1994 Additional qualification in sports medicine
- 1996 Appointment as Professor Dr. med. habil. LMU Munich
- 1997 Opening of the Centre for Shoulder and Elbow Surgery ATOS Clinic Heidelberg
- 2008 Visiting Professor Harvard University, Boston
- 2009 Opening of the Centre for Shoulder Surgery ATOS Clinic Munich
- 2009 Specialist in orthopaedics and trauma surgery
- 2012 Foundation of German Shoulder Centre ATOS Clinic Munich